Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prop 8

Wow, what more can I say. As a woman who considers herself every gay man's best friend, I can't believe that this is still a debate we are even having. How is denying the rights of two consensual adults who want to join their lives together somehow taking away from what my marriage means. I'm all for same-sex marriages! It's been something that I have had to stick up for many times in my life. I'm not an activist, if I were in the States I might have been more vocal, but I am an ally, advocate, whatever you want to call it. The fact that some people out there feel like their marriages are any less meaningless were gay couple able to marry just means that they are seriously lacking meaning in the first place.

Marriage in the religious context, isn't even something that a lot of people want. Colin and I wanted a civil ceremony. They stopped performing them in December here, so we had to go with the religious one. Since neither one of us is really religious we weren't that thrilled about it, we did it and it was fine. If we had had the choice, we wouldn't have had a religious ceremony, if I had had a choice, I would have had a friend officiate. We didn't, so we went religious. Should churches have to perform same-sex marriages, no, but they should want to. The bible says marriage is only between a man and a woman, that's what they all say. The bible says a lot of crazy ass sh*t. We don't follow everything is says. It says we shouldn't eat shell fish, you don't see people protesting Red Lobster...oh Red Lobster with their yummy crab legs and shrimp scampi, but I digress.

Anyway, I hope the California Supreme Court makes the right decision, not based on morality, their religious beliefs, or any other factors other than the rights of all people to be equal under the law. If they don't, it's only a matter of time. It will happen and those people who are against it will look like relics in 10 years. Their children will look at them, like the children of those parents that protested against integrated schools. It's only a matter of time...

No comments:

Post a Comment