Saturday, January 2, 2010

And a new year begins

Everyone else seems to be doing these, so I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

NYE 1999, I was sitting in Christy _____'s basement, drinking sparkling cider at the ripe old age of 14. I don't remember her last name, but I remember thinking it was a huge deal that I was invited to her party. She was one of the "cool" people. I think it might have been the fact that most kids weren't allowed out that night and she needed filler. What is did learn on that night is, the hype almost always makes the actual event less fun. That party bored me to tears! I would have much rather been home with the family asleep. It didn't help that my mom fell asleep and left me at poor Christy's house until about 1:30.

At 14, I had no idea what I wanted to be. I was really all over the place with my career aspirations: marine biologist, chef, fashion designer. But never in--well I won't say a million years--so never in 500,000 years did I think I would be in law school right now. There have been so many changes in my life over the past 10 years. 1st kiss, 1st boyfriend, graduating from college, getting into law school, moving to the Middle East, meeting my amazing husband, starting law school. Those are some pretty big life changes and aside from the first 3, I didn't think any of those things would have happened to me at 14.

Even if I could go back and tell myself something a that age I probably wouldn't. I was actually a pretty good kid, if I do say so myself. Maybe I would tell me at 14 to have more confidence, but everything else I did seems to be working out for the 24 year old me, so why mess with a good thing. I can only hope that the good times keep on rolling for the next 10 years and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment