Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is this the wave of the future?

I sure hope not. I was reading this article today and I have to say I'm a little shocked. Long story short, a school was spying on it's students through the webcam on their school-issued laptops. They could see and hear what the students were doing and saying as long as the computer was on. I would like to know who the hell thought that it was a good idea!

Why would anyone imagine that spying on students in their own homes and punishing them for this would be something they could get away with. The whole things seems to have come to light after a student was disciplined for "inappropriate behavior" while at home. I don't even want to know what that could be. I find it interesting that there are teenagers who are being threatened with the label of sex offender for the rest of their lives because they send a naked picture of themselves to a friend, but the school can spy on them in their most vulnerable moments. I have heard about remote activating webcams, but I didn't think that school administrators would think it was within their power to do it to all of their students.

I have to admit the thought of all of this is at least a bit scary. It looks like I'll be turning my computer around or closing it whenever I'm not actively using it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is unbelievable! How did anybody at the school think that was ok? And there had to be several people thinking it was ok, because just one person dreaming it up still probably wouldn't make it happen. Teachers? Principal? Nobody blew the whistle??

    ReplyDelete