Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Not so easy to meet new people

Now that I'm not working I have a lot more time on my hands. I have also realized something that other friends have mentioned since graduating. It's hard to make friends once you grow up. I know about 10 people in my section by name. Some people appear to be social butterflies that know everyone in the section and never have an awkward what-do-I-do-while-hanging-outside-of-the-classroom-moment. Everyone keeps saying that all of these people are going to be our colleagues for the rest of our professional careers, but how does that help if you don't know any! Outside of class, it's a more impossible task. I go to cooking class, but most of those people are 60, there with a friend they don't stop talking to, couples, or other awkward people in their 20s-40s who don't speak. Other than my husband, I spend most of my time talking to my trainer. It's sad! Most of my friends and I have the complete opposite schedule. They are all at work during the day and free at nights, while I have time open in the daytime and try to stay awake in class at night. So how do you make friends as an adult? Should I even care about making friends?

On the school front, last week I was really down about school. I was on the brink and I don't even know why. This week I am ready, eager and back enjoying classes. I don't know what's causing these swings in law school love, but I don't like them and wish they would stop! Everyone is getting a bit antsy about finals and so I am. There are only about 10 weeks left until finals. This whole law school thing seems to be flying by and stuck on the edge of a black hole all at the same time. I don't get how that one works. 6 weeks down, 11 to go.

1 comment:

  1. It can be difficult. It's easy to make acquaintances in law school, but hard to make genuine friends.

    Slowly but surely though, you'll get to know the people that you want to be friends with, and those are the ones that count.

    ReplyDelete