Sunday, February 7, 2010

Trapped in the apartment

I have been in my apartment for the past 48 hours. I stepped outside to flag down a friend, who was coming over to visit. That's about it. Apparently, there is about 2 feet of snow out there. I'm starting to go stir crazy, but I'm also trying to stay focused and do my reading and case comment! I have had one distraction to keep me going...PASTA making!

This is all you need, I also added in a little water because the dough wasn't sticky enough.

Love the KitchenAid mixer. It only took about 1 minute to make the dough. Once it was in a big ball I took it out of the bowl, floured it a bit and then cut it into 4 pieces. I only made half of it and half of that was thrown out when I tried to do spaghetti. I don't think I was holding the dough correctly because it all got caught. But back to the 4 pieces, after I wrapped half in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer, I started to flatten out the dough.

This was the most fun. The pasta got crazy long and it made a whole lot more than I expected. It wasn't until after I started rolling it out that I realized I didn't have a drying rack for the fettuccine. I had to use the backs of my dining room chairs. It worked! I also made my own pasta sauce, using only a can of peeled whole tomatoes, some minced garlic and half of a large onion. All in all the whole thing took about 1 hour, that's including the 30 min rest time for the pasta dough. My stove looked like I just dumped pasta sauce all over it, but everything tasted so good I didn't care. I was so proud of myself and I hope to do it again for a dinner party with all of my friends on a weekend I'm actually back in town. Cooking this for Liam will also be a special treat. Now it's back to my cabin of fever and slow insanity. I sure hope that the projected snow on Tuesday and Wednesday doesn't f' up my trip on Thursday or I will lose my sh*t!

2 comments: