Thursday, April 29, 2010

When living apart makes me want to kill something or someone

Let me preface this with the fact that I'm now working on a 54 page long issue spotter fact pattern for CivPro and I am 10 wks preggers, you have been warned.

Liam and I are generally separated by at least a 7 hour time-zone gap, 11,000km, and a boatload of technology. Usually technology is our friend. We can communicate over these long distances and stay connected. What we can't do it actually bridge the gap the exists between us and sometimes it's really F*CKING annoying. Some random internet cable has been severed off the coast of Egypt. This isn't your run of the mill fiber-optic cable, it's a giant cable that basically connects one end of the world to the other. No, the internet doesn't work via amazing satellites and towers and crap like that, it's all kept together by giant underwater cables running from continent to continent. Don't believe me, check out #5 on this list. What this means for communication with my husband is ridiculous delays and lags, choppy picture and sound, and both of us nearly shredding all technology we possess.

Today was one such day and it is now spilling over into me wanting to shred Liam! I got back from the gym this morning after a good training session and Liam was getting home from work. We chatted for a bit and then both decided to take a nap. My pregnant lady nap lasted for about an hour and a half. Liam's just got home from work nap lasted 4 hours! 4 fucking hours! He's showing up as being on skype and available, not idle, totally available and open to communication. I called and rang skype about 8 times. I was getting funky messages and I thought perhaps the internet was messed up or he was only on skype on iTouch w/ the headphones plugged into the jack and couldn't hear the ring. So I proceeded to call his cell phone about 10x in about 3 hours. I don't call because I'm afraid he's out banging hookers or doing blow off of toilet seats in bars, but we're never out of communication range with each other. We both take our phones with us everywhere or tell the other one we're leaving the phone behind for a certain amount of time. Other than when either of us are asleep, he's at work or I'm in class communication with one another is almost always possible.

Needless to say I was pissed. The time he slept through was our talk time. This is the time of day when I'm getting ready to go out into the real world, doing dishes, eating lunch, getting dressed, etc. I did all of that while he was asleep. He woke up and wanted to talk. Unfortunately, I'm now in school work mode. I'm going through my freaking huge fact pattern for CivPro. I kind of feel like I'm being a bitch, but this is also not the first time this has happened this week. In the past week he forgot to charge his phone, has left it downstairs while upstairs in dreamland, has it on silent. I'm probably just crazy hormonal and being ridiculous, but being incommunicado with your pregnant wife for long stretches of time when I'm of course looking for support and attention. Leaving me pissed during 3 of the 4 hours we have to talk during the day is not a good way to start off my day. Maybe the issue is we talk too much and when we can only talk for an hour or so, it seems like I'm being ignored. Or maybe I need another nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment