Saturday, June 12, 2010

{PP} How do you know? and annoying advice

How do you know if it's gas or the baby moving? I still haven't been able to discern whether or not I'm thinking I'm feeling something, but I could just be imagining it or I have recently acquired an intolerance to lactose. Feeling the baby is just another way to make this all a bit more real. That and the constant shooting pain in my hips. Yay, changing body in ways from which it will never recover!

I ran into someone I've known for about 6 years yesterday and in the course of our conversation she called me out multiple times for the following: taking Flintstone vitamins approved by my doctor instead of prenatals, working out also approved by my doctor and flying later in my pregnancy. I understand people want to give their two cents and be helpful, but telling me that I should be taking a vitamin with prenatal on the front after I've said my doctor said the ones I'm taking are ok is annoying. She even went so far as scrounge up a baby book where it stated that I should be taking vitamins. Yes, I know, which is why I'm taking the ones my doctor said were fine.

Working out seems to be something she has a real problem with. I worked out at least 4 days a week before I was pregnant. I'm down to 2-3x/wk now, but it's a good hour of a little cardio and some strength training. My doctor has said it's fine and recommends it, but she could not get it through her head that I was not in some way irreparably damaging myself and the baby. It seems like this is only the first of many little tidbits of annoying "advice" I'll be receiving over the course of this pregnancy and the rest of my life. Oy!

5 comments:

  1. If you can't tell, then it's not the baby moving. At least that's my take on it. I did the same thing for two weeks, not sure if I was feeling the baby. Then one day I felt this totally unreal feeling and I just knew it was the baby. When its the baby moving, I think it will be obvious. Isn't it frustrating waiting for signs of life in there?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I say if you want to exercise do it! the only concern is getting your internal body temp too high. Just drink water and exercise next to a fan. I ran 6 miles a day or every other day while I was pregnant and I was fine. I even ran 3 miles every other day when I was 9 months along. Don't fret about what other people say- it's the most annoying thing about being a parent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cee! I don't worry about the exercise, but apparently everyone else does. Oh, I'm so looking forward to what other people have to say... :( I guess I'm going to have to get better at ignoring people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cee = 100% right.

    Wait til you enter the nursing versus formula decision. Everyone feels free to give you their thoughts on it, which is one thing, and tries to make you feel terrible for disagreeing, which is quite another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely NOT looking forward to this kind of situation in pregnancy. I don't know if I'll be able to keep myself from shooting back with smart-ass comments :)

    If it works for you, just keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete