Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Is there such a thing as too much class?

I need some of these classes to end. I'm in class pretty much 9-5 most days. This leaves very little time for me to actually read, outline, eat, whatever. The one class that's been taking up the bulk of my daytime time will be over next week and I'm so excited. I also have to bang out my paper for that one, but once the class is over it will be so much easier.

The week after my ADR class ends, my other big paper class also ends. This will free up about 13 hours of study time/wk. I am ready for that especially because the focus of the classes is getting us to think about paper topics. Class discussions matter when it comes to the grade, but the actual reading we have to do has almost no bearing on the final grade. I kind of wish it did because I actually enjoy the readings although they take up a crazy amount of time.

I've been devoting a much larger portion of my time and energy to the classes that end earlier for obvious reasons. That said, I don't want to get too far behind in my other couses because we all know how that ends. I don't really have the time or energy to be up until all hours trying to cram 14 weeks of information into my brain before a final. Once these two are finished, I can start catching up, start writing and not running around like a crazy person. I almost wish I had kept my ridiculously overpriced apartment. The commute it really not helping things any. Today I spent just under 2 hours getting to campus. If my commute works the way it should, I can get to campus in about hour and it's free. If it doesn't it will take at least 2 hours and cost me $3. It isn't the worst thing in the world, but what screwed my commute up really sucked. My first bus was 7 minutes late. I missed my connecting bus by 3 minutes. Holy frustration batman! This meant a 7 block walk to another bus and arriving 5 minutes late for class.

**Warning**
Mild Pregnancy-Related Rant:
Ahh walking...so far I've been pretty good with being able to walk, run (hobble) and quick walk. Now things are starting to get more and more difficult. I find myself swaying from side to side and kind of walking like an old lady. Trying to be super vigilant about my posture has been something I've credited with keeping me from adopting the pregnancy waddle. I think I've reached the end of my normal ability to walk. The pregnancy walk is here to stay, well at least for another couple of months. In other pregnancy related news, I can't say that I have actually popped yet. This is great in many respects, no one trying to touch my stomach, no unsolicited advice from strangers (only family and friends), but is also means no perks. I don't get a seat on the bus, no one offers to help when it comes to getting my luggage off the rack of the train, I'm lucky if I get a door flick. I don't mind too much about the door and the luggage, but the seat thing actually makes me want to just start asking people. My center of gravity is completely off and slamming into people is pretty awkward. Or perhaps I'll just start pawing my stomach a bit more conspicuously and push it out. What's a pregnant gal need to do to get a seat on public transportation?

3 comments:

  1. When I was pregnant with Pumpkinhead, I lived in DC. Even in my 3rd trimester, HUGELY pregnant, having to ride two trains to work, I had people blatantly turn their head and ignore me instead of giving me a seat. Grr. Finally at 36 weeks, Chapin started driving me at least one way and then I went on medical leave at 38 weeks because I could NOT take it any more. Bastards!

    Fortunately with my first son, he was riding high. Son #2 is low and has been the whole pregnancy. At 33 weeks, I feel like he's going to fall out at any minute. My inner thighs ache constantly. Boo. I do not envy you and your schedule, esp. the public transport part! BTDT and it sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I had to ride the bus because my car was in the shop, and even at 27 weeks prego, it sucked! The constant starting and stopping of the bus and train killed my back! You are my hero for keeping it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The bus really is the worst. I feel like I'm shredding my pelvis as I try to keep myself from flying into everyone.

    ReplyDelete