Sunday, October 17, 2010

So they got me...kind of

My family baby shower happened yesterday, pulled off at my favorite back at my mom's-need a fix-restaurant-Red Lobster. Those biscuits have crack in them. It's the only way I can explain it. My mom surreptitiously got my best friend from high school's phone number by enlisting my little sister to ask to give her a call. There wasn't anything odd about this because my 7 year old sister will routinely ask Tine, why she only visits when I'm home. So I handed off the phone to her without a second thought. Turns out she handed the phone to my mom, who then left a message and her phone number for Tine to call back. Then they worked out all the plans. Not too bad in the sneaky planning there!

My friend, Tine, picked me up for a little baby shopping before lunch. We were supposed to be going to Red Lobster anyway, so that didn't throw me off. But the waiter did nearly ruin everything by not noticing that I was preggers and almost seating us at a regular table. Tine had to give him a whisper and we were headed back to the back area, where my entire family (well not entire, only about 15) were there for the surprise. It was great fun watching my great aunt and grandmother argue over how all of the baby shower games should be corrected and how the prizes should be divied up. My friends were texting me under the table to see if there was going to be a senior citizen throw down.

Having this little get together made me of so happy that I had a destination wedding and planned it myself! I can only imagine the added stress they would have heaped onto the process. After the hellos, there were phone calls to relatives who are always about 2 hours late to everything (they made it 20 min before we left), the ordering of the food, the baby games (one was a word unscramble, my name was a clue and my mom forgot a letter!), then time for gifts. I'm not really a big fan of opening the gifts in front of everyone. For my friend shower there were only about 6 people, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but you don't go against the family unless you want to sleep with the fishes! So I opened presents, the oooohs and aaahhhhs followed. The best present was this one:

I say this because no more than 1 hour earlier Tine and I were in the store and they had this playing in the baby section. I shuddered and told her how it was freaking the crap out of me and be both laughed. But who knows, maybe I'll get used to it, if it works on the baby. Whatever it takes to get them to sleep!

After I wiped the tears from my eyes over the CD, I got to wear my fabulous hat of decorative mess and then there was cake. Yummy delicious cake. Then it was time to go, pack up the car and start writing thank you cards. Only 7 more to go! I refuse to have those things hanging over my head. All in all a great weekend for family and baby, not so great for actual school work. Well that will just have to be addressed tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment