Friday, March 4, 2011

Building a Budget

One of the hardest things about being in law school is the severe lack of funds. Thankfully, I'm only taking out loans for tuition. My lovely husband has, of course, agreed to support me while I'm in school. Even now a little over a year and a half in, it's really hard to deal with not bringing in any money. I've had a job since I was 16. I had 2 jobs for a large part of my time in college. I guess it's not so bad to have a bit of time off from a real job because I'll have more than enough time to work for the next 40 years of my life.

But, the inability to contribute is no fun at all, especially when we are trying to not completely devour Liam's paycheck every month. The savings fund is still being added to monthly, albeit in much tinier contributions, so we're not as bad off as we could be. I think that's the biggest blow for me. I always had a large chunk of change in savings. When I was growing up my family had to buy me gift certificates because they knew if I was given money I would just save it. I can't wait to start working, just so we can really start saving. At times I think my obsession with budgets, cash flow, and coupons is a bit unhealthy. Then again, there are worse obsessions to have like TIGERBLOOD!

2 comments:

  1. It's very difficult to get used to the sudden drop in income during law school; you've just got to keep telling yourself that it'll be worth it in the long run! :-)

    In the meantime, you could always try monetizing your blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to de-lurk to comment on this! I struggle with this all the time, too. I think one of the hardest part is balancing our short term needs with our long term goals. Ugh. I have also had a job since forever, and I was happily the breadwinner when he was in school, so it's hard for me to not contribute anything. I'm holding out hope for work study next year. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete