Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hunger Games

I know I shouldn't have time for things like this, but you think I'm going to read a treaties at 3am while feeding Z. Get real!

Hunger Games is the story of the world post-some unknown calamity where the all-powerful capital of a 12-District-based-former-US society, forces a boy and a girl from each district to fight to the death each year in the...ta-da Hunger Games. I started with the first book on my Kindle app on my ipod touch. I chewed through the trilogy in about a week. It's a lot of sleepless nights I know. It's a young adult series, but I found it compelling. Plus it's a little bloody for youngins. Thank goodness I could buy it online and not have to go to a bookstore and pretend I'm looking for it for my younger sisters (like I usually do for my junk food books :P)

The characters are kickass! I only wish I have the ridiculous survival and archery skills of the main protagonist Katniss. They are turning it into a movie and I hope they don't screw it up. It's so much better than Twilight (although I read all of those too), in that Katniss is strong, while conflicted about two strong men in her life, doesn't let this rule her life and she's not afraid to take everything into her own hands. Wish there were more books and I might start re-reading them when Z wakes up tonight.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED Hunger Games. I kept rereading the books too, until I realized that reading them before bed was giving me bad dreams! I assume you've read all three? I was impressed at how the third book pulled everything together, even though it was my least favorite of the three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read all three. I plowed through them in a little under a week. I LOVED all of them. Three was the hardest to read b/c of the emotional toll it took, but it was satisfying. I can't say they gave me bad dreams though b/c I was usually reading them at 2am while feeding Z.

    ReplyDelete