Saturday, April 2, 2011

Starting to Panic

At least a little bit...with 2L coming to a close in a little over a month it's starting to get real. Really, real and I have no idea what I'm going to do. Yes, I have a summer position at a big firm, but I don't know if that is what I want to do. I'll see how it goes, once I find housing that isn't in a seriously skanky part of town, figure out childcare or have my grandmother come with us. The idea of spending 60 hours a week at work is not desirable for me or my family. We have one baby, but plan on at least a couple more before Liam gets much older. This is the trade off of marrying someone older and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would also like to be finished child bearing by my next -0 birthday. This means kids in short order in a short amount of time.

Being in the office until 10pm every night isn't really conducive to that or to family life in general, for us. If I could find an office that would allow working for home and some flexibility I would think about it. Now that the realness is beginning to hit, different options are starting to come to the surface. Or at least I'm trying to make them options.

I could go back to working at a university. The only problem is that many positions I would be looking for require masters degrees. Do I want to get a masters? Not really. Might I have to get one? Possibly. Once I start actually actively searching for jobs, I'll have to see if the JD would satisfy the criteria.

I could try to get a job at a large multinational as in-house counsel. I don't know what the possibility of getting a job would be right out of school, but I have friends, friends of friends, and even further out checking for me. I'll start off as low as I can go because this company would be big into growing my potential, paying for any other education and professional development, which would be nice.

The other option I have only recently thought of would be teaching. I don't know what I would need other than my JD to teach undergrad, but I think it would be an excellent option. But I'm not sure how conducive academia would be with family life, since the majority of my female professors were unmarried and if married, without children. Not sure it it was causation or correlation on that one. But the idea of getting a PhD is laughable. There is no freaking way it would happen, so that might count me out.

These are the options running through my mind. None seem particularly attainable right now, but I'm looking into distance learning masters degrees that might work. I'm also trying to find something that will keep me from feeling like I've dug my family into a seriously ridiculous financial hole!

All in all the semester is shaping up ok. I'm on top of my work and trying to get ready for finals. I'm not too worried or I just have enough other stuff to worry about that I don't have more room to worry. This doubt will pass once I have my diploma...I hope.

1 comment:

  1. It's good that you are thinking of your options so early on. Things will fall into place, even if it takes you a couple of jobs/transitions to get there.

    ReplyDelete