Sunday, June 5, 2011

Graduation Presents and other future plans

Now that completing law school is a mere 9 months away, Liam has begun to ask about graduation presents. I've been trying to get him to go on a cruise forever. At first he thought that they were confining, overly structured ships filled with old people, but I have been able to convince him that they are awesome! I went on my last cruise when I was 9 and it was to Hawaii. Even back then I remember it being amazing, especially for a kid. I barely saw my mom and grandmom (1) because they spent most of the time in the infirmary because they are both appartently incredibly prone to sea sickness (2) all the kids activities meant that our little kid gang had free reign over the ship and took total advantage.

Anyway, back to the graduation treat, we're thinking of going on a cruise. I really really want to go on one of the Royal Caribbean mega ships because I've heard they are amazing and there is tons to do. Of course all of this would generally depend on my job situation. If I have sometime lined up then it's no prob. If not then things get a little trickier. That said, I really hope we can go on one because we haven't been on a non-visiting family/visiting each other vacation since July 2009. We might be able to sneak in a weekend trip to Oman or something, but again that would be more for a visa run (leaving the country and coming back in to get another 30 day visitors visa) than an actual vacation.

I really can't wait until we can just be a normal family. My the time Z is one she will have been across the Atlantic 10 times, flown 14 times and been to 6 countries. While I'm all for raising a globally conscious child, she won't remember any of it and it is exhausting! I relish the opportunity to be in one place for more than 2 months and not getting on a plane once, of not living out of a suitcase/plastic bins/backpacks, spending more on flights than I spend in 2 months, and being able to be parents to our daughter at the same time in the same time zone in the same house. At this point the job thing is practically secondary to us being together. I'm sure that tune will change once my loans come due. Things are not looking pretty and this is only taking out loans for 2 years of tuition. I don't know how people can handle all of it in loans, tuition and living expenses for 3 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment