Monday, February 20, 2012

We have arrived!

Well we've been HOME for more than a day now and it couldn't have come sooner.  The outline version of the trip:
  • Packed up the two vans with all of our luggage (4 large checked bags, 3 carry on suitcases, 1 large backpack, 2 car seats, 1 stroller, 1 diaper bag)
  • Gave Z a bath and bottle and put her in the car
  • Bad traffic getting to the airport, but that's the benefit of leaving 5 hours before the flight
  • Arrive at the airport 2 hrs before departure and the check in gods get them to check 2 of my additional carry ons!
  • Don't get stopped at security with any of my liquids! (Milk bottles, baby yogurt, sips)
  • Head to the quiet lounge to pick up some food, drinks and change Z twice before the flight (YAY flying with B-Class with all my frequent flier miles)
  • Board the flight, pull out 10% of the things I packed Z for the flight
  • Try to entertain Z for 8 hours of the 13 hour flight because she only sleeps for 5...
  • Eat as much as I can and order as much as I can, since I can't drink I'm getting as much out of this as I can, cause it's not going to happen for a long time
  • Z promptly falls asleep during landing :(
  • I carry her, my backpack, carseat and diaperbag off of the plane (hmm that was easier than I thought)
  • Once on shuttle bus to terminal I realize I forgot my wheely suitcase in the overhead, facepalm
  • Go through customs, wrangle two luggage dudes and collect bags in about 20 min...then have to wait another 30 for the bag from the plane, d'oh!
  • Head out with all bags, baby, luggage dudes and see Liam waiting!
  • Liam and 2 luggage guys completely load the 4x4, we have to put all the seats down but Z's with her seat
  • Drive home, promptly collapse
Now I've been battling jet lag, a stuffy nose, scratchy throat and cloudy head.  When we got home I called my family back home and started bawling.  It was really weird, they said how much they missed us and especially Z.  Some of her toys are still at the house.  My Gma even thought she heard her downstairs and talked about how much she missed having Z "help" her get ready for church.  I couldn't control the tears after I got off of the phone and felt really crummy about it, especially since Liam was so happy we were home.  I was happy we were home as well, but I was exhausted, knew how much my family was missing Z and just wished we could have the best of both worlds, but we can't.

I slept for much of Monday, Liam had to take the day off because I was in no shape to watch Z on my own.  We went for a meal Sunday at Applebee's at the mall after I realized I hadn't eaten all day, but Z wasn't having it.  The waitresses played with her while we scarfed down 15% of our meal, had everything boxed up, payed the check and left.  We won't be doing that again for a while.

Now it's just unpacking that ridiculous amount of luggage and finding a place for it all.  Maybe we'll head to the pool later today or just go for a walk.  I can't wait to get into a rhythm here and stop feeling bad about everyone missing us at home.   

3 comments:

  1. I'm confused.
    Are you already overseas?
    But then... Applebee's at the mall?
    Anyway, sounds like an epic journey. Get lots of sleep, and good luck adjusting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely overseas and yes we have Applebee's in the mall. Not so different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for being home!!! And your itinerary makes me exhausted just reading it.

    ReplyDelete