Monday, March 12, 2012

Seriously Crazy

That's what things have been lately.  It seems that all of my crap about getting things done and not rushing didn't actually pan out.  For some reason I found myself finishing papers that weren't due until April and forgetting about things due this week!  I don't know wtf happened to my calendar, but I must have had a serious brain fart when creating my tasks chart.  Z is a bit snooty and had a slight fever at school yesterday.  She didn't have one this morning and she was playing just fine yesterday after school so we sent her in today.  I'm writing my paper that's due by midnight as quickly as possible, so that if I get a call saying she needs a pick up I can call a cab and go get her.  The paper is a make up for a class I missed due to my car accident.  It's actually on an interesting topic about dispute resolution in the workplace, so that helps some.

Other than the 3 assignments I completed yesterday and the paper, I have due on Wednesday I'm pretty glad that I only have 4 papers left until the end of the semester.  One of them is already written, I only have 22 single spaced pages left!  I can't believe it.  I fly out this weekend for my last class ever of law school.  I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to flying on my own.  I'm not looking forward to the trip, but I am looking forward to the sitting in my seat and eatings, drinking, watching movies and getting up whenever I want.  It's only 4 nights, so I'll be ridiculously jetlagged going in both directions.  I have no idea how I did all of this moving around and shuffling last year when I was pregnant with Z.  I mean seriously, I was moving from apartment to apartment every two weeks, taking the train up to stay with my family on weekends, lugging all of my crap all over the city.  That was just freaking crazy!

I actually started cooking and baking again! Yay semi-organized kitchen and not having a train load of people waltzing into the house and eating everything like a bunch of locusts.  Although I do miss my family a lot at times.  I especially miss my grandmother and I know she really really misses Z.  We will see if we can get her out here for Boo's birth, but it's not looking too good.  Between my loans coming up, paying out of pocket for the delivery at a private hospital, flying to the wedding this summer and nursery costs, I don't think we can swing the two tickets for my mom and grandmom this year.  It sucks though because she really does miss Z.  She keeps talking about how she keeps thinking she's hearing her in the house or she'll still do things she did to make sure Z didn't get into too much trouble (like put trash cans on top of the end table downstairs).  I think it's weird for her having an empty house again, just like it's weird for us to be living in one.

And on the job front, well not my job, but Liam's...there is a possibility of a change during the next year.  He's quite the hot commodity with the CEO and COO of this huge government company calling on him for different projects and recommending him for others.  He may have the opportunity to move over to this government company that he is currently seconded to at the years end.  It would be great as far as benefits go: full international health insurance, flights home for all of us, pay for nursery and private school (the only option here), housing, car stipend, furniture allowance and more...but the catch is it would pretty much nix any chance I would have of finding a serious well paying job.  He would have to sponsor me to get a residency permit, instead of a job sponsoring me.  While his job would then provide many of the benefits I'm looking for in a job, it would place the majority of all of he breadwinning and the stress that goes with it squarely on Liam's shoulders and he's had that burden for the past 3 years knowing it was for a finite period of time.  To know that it would be that way for the foreseeable future is quite another story. 

Women who are sponsored by their husbands don't get the same kind of benefits or even salary because employers go into old school 1960s mode of "well your husband is supporting the family, this is just your pocket money".  We definitely have time to figure it out and I've been applying and poking around, but most jobs here are for an immediate start and I'm kind of not in that boat for at least another 4-5 months.  Paper writing break over.


No comments:

Post a Comment