Sunday, August 5, 2012

So Freaking Cold

The Ireland/UK trip has been going really well so far.  Z loves her Grandad, who she has taken to calling "Dad Dad".  And her aunt, Madison, who she calls "Matty" is a rockstar.  We came back from the wedding before the evening reception and Matty and Z were outside in the workshop painting.  It was rainy, but neither one cared and apparently Z loved hearing the rain on the roof and was squealing with laughter.  I'll break it down:

Travel/Flight
Z swiped up just about every germ in the airports on two continents as she threw fits out of sheer exhaustion!  Our flight left at midnight and the hand off crying children to me went on until about 3am.  They slept for about 3 hours of the flight and I slept for a bit as well.  It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it wasn't great.  The 3 hour layover was interesting because Schipol was barely open, so there wasn't much for us to do, but sit in Starbucks and wait.  We made our homemade chicken sandwiches last with some drinks from there and tried to get the kids to nap.  They did, and they promptly woke up when we went through security again before boarding the flight.  We landed, gathered the 2 checked bags, 3 carryons, 2 carseats and a stroller and managed to cram it all into Dad Dad's car.

Dad Dad's House
Sleeping in a room roughly 1/3 the size of our bedroom has gone better than I imagined. I think this means we can transition to single room sleeping when we get home. Playing with cousins has been great fun for Z and we look forward to doing it again next year. Walking around the block to the grocery store, going for walks and just enjoying greenery has been amazing. That said its really freaking cold for July/August! The big family BBQ was a big success even if Liam's older brother did try to drag everyone down with his woe is me, self centered life messes. And with about 2 desserts brought by each family, it was a sweet ending to an actually sunny, relatively warm day.

Jobs
Didn't get the one I really wanted. I have a sneaking suspicion I asked for too much. It was a little above the market rate, by maybe 3%, but I thought I would get a counter offer, apparently the other top contender was a bit more flexible and under cut me. I'm getting this info from my inside source who told me the hiring manager's decision was overturned by a dean in favor of the lower salary seeker. Talk about a bummer. I still have 4 apps out there actively being looked over plus the resume referrals from my other rejection, so we'll see. Once we're back home I'll start in job mode again and begin the startup job.

Life
We are really lucky and reminding ourselves of this every night by going over the fun we have had all day has made these job setbacks more bearable.  I don't want to let this search define me, so I'm embracing the time off, I'll have the next 40 years to work and focus on making everyday as fun as possible. Yay brownies for breakfast, water gun fights and playing peek a boo in the mornings before we all start our day. Seriously lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment