Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving Score!

We've scored an invite to a friend of a friend's Thanksgiving!  Sweet!! This means no cooking for me, well maybe a side dish or dessert.  We were trying to decide if we wanted to go to a hotel, order in from a hotel or do it ourselves and now we don't have to sorry.  One bonus of living abroad is that meeting new people on holidays like this is super fun.  Generally if you were going to a new person's house on Thanksgiving in the US it might be a little awkward, but because everyone is an expat and we're all celebrating this weird US holiday abroad it brings everyone together.  Scoring something from home that you might not be able to readily get over here, ie canned cranberry sauce, marshmallow fluff, collard greens, etc can make you fast friends with everyone.  I don't know where it is or who's hosting, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Z is turning into a little jokester.  She knows that the things she does can make us laugh and her new favorite is blowing raspberries on our stomachs.  It's funny, but a little awkward when she's trying to pull up our shirts while we're out shopping.  She's also got this bucky beaver teeth thing going on.  I don't know how to discourage it because she just seems to be doing it unconsciously, but I don't want her pushing those two front teeth out permanently.

Boo is still bounce flop crawling.  She's also a fan of blowing raspberries on my arms and legs in the early morning when she's awake at 5am.  Liam and I are still split sleeping.  He's got Z and I've got Boo.  On the weekends we're like a colonial family all sleeping in the same room.  Z's tiny toddler bed, Boo's crib and then our bed.  If the bedroom wasn't huge, it would be too cramped, but it would almost be better because we would have no choice, but to send the kids to their own room.  I just wouldn't trust Z in the room on her own with Boo, mainly because of her random hair pulling sneak attacks.  She doesn't do it often, but sometimes it just comes out of nowhere!  We're all playing nicely and then Z will just try and pull Boo up off of the ground by her hair.  She's only done it maybe 3 or 4 times and it's probably the only time I really shout at her.  But I still haven't been able to figure out why she does it.

So I've finally come around to being less anxious about being home.  I think mentally I'm putting myself in the place of "this won't be going on much longer," not for any concrete reason, but I feel like it won't.  It's a lot easier for me to identify the things I'll miss and enjoy them now.  Making blanket forts on the dining room table, playing in the kiddie pool ball pit with Boo and Z, getting out the huge roll of paper and tracing ourselves on the floor, and crawling around with them.  It's going to be sad when it's no longer a full time thing, but I'll definitely have fun while it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment