Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Great 2nd Round!

Just got back from my second round and I think it went really well.  I've already warned Liam and Melody that if I don't get this job I will probably have a mini-breakdown full of snotty crying for a while.  I met with two higher ups and they were both very direct with me.  From what I know the previous person was not a happy person in general and didn't really make the department all that fun, so  they are trying to make sure the fit is right.  They said to think of this as more of a conversation and that they wanted someone long term, turnover is something they don't really like to see.  I told them my long term plans, long term goals and how I saw myself fitting in.  There were a few times when one of them would say "Yes, exactly" to one of my responses, so that made me feel good.  I'm the first interviewee this week, so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

There are a few more, I would say there  are probably no more than 4 or 5 other people, since they said they would give me an answer by next week.  It was also mentioned that there were more than 600 applications for the position, so I guess I should feel pretty good getting to this point, but I really won't feel great until I get the offer.  Because of visa stuff I probably wouldn't start until Feb/early March which is fine with me.  It turns out that I wouldn't have to go back to the US to get it all processed, which is good and bad.  I would have liked to see my family, but the hassle of me flying over with the girls would have been a bit brutal.  So my mom's and poor grandmother's houses will be filled to the brim with boxes of everything I would need to have shipped over here to make this even more permanent.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but actually being able to sit down and talk with HR about some of the practical issues definitely made this feel more real.  Hence my promise to freak the f' out if I get this close and then don't get it.

I also found out that the company guarantees their employees' kids a spot in one of the few American curriculum schools in the country.  It is by far the best in the country and the applications (over 3000) and waitlist (hundreds for each grade) can make it pretty much impossible to ever get a spot, but this would make it possible.  So getting this position pretty much puts a whole lot of issues that may come up in the future to rest.  Can you tell I'm starting to freak out?  This is going to be a long week.  I think is might make this mosaic to keep me occupied, if I can locate all the materials.

2 comments: