Monday, February 4, 2013

Laughter Supression

I have a friend who is due in 8 weeks.  She's wants to do a non-epidural child birth, which is totally cool.  I think it's great when people can do it, but even with my fear of needles, I was like give it to me! And she's doing hypnobirthing which I also think is cool.  It helps you feel in control, gives you some tips etc, but the thing I don't like about it is this idea that some people seem to have with it, which is "if you're in pain it's because you're not doing it right!" Now I've been through child birth twice and as I've said before, that sh*t freaking hurts! I'm sure there are some people out there who don't feel pain, like there are people out there where anesthesia doesn't work on them.  But the idea that it's all on your head and mind over matter in this case is just crazy to me! So when she said "oh they told me your body is made to do this and it's just main over matter as far as pain goes" I couldn't really help just trying not to laugh.  I felt really bad, like I was the mean mommy saying "get an epidural," but I really wasn't.  I just couldn't fathom being in a place in my life where I would think "maybe it won't hurt that much" especially after doing it twice.  I hope it works for her and she has a pain free delivery...call me in 8 weeks I say.

2 comments:

  1. I did hypnobirthing too. I found it very useful (despite ending up getting induced, followed by an emergency C section) but I think you need to take it with a grain of salt. On one hand, they do have a point that fear and tension exacerbate your pain, and deep relaxation can really help you through. I think a lot of the words and imagery they use are helpful. On the other hand, I don't think they should promise you a pain-free birth and imply -- actually, say outright -- that if you feel pain, you're doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know that's what I thought was crazy! I'm all about giving options and helping you not fear it and trying to get you to focus on certain things, etc. But saying that you won't feel pain and if you do you're doing it wrong, just seems like it's setting people up for failure and kicking themselves that it's their fault it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete