Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Dreaded Budget

Since my employment will be a bit further off than we hoped, we'er getting a lot more serious about the budget.  Previously, we kept track of expenses, but weren't so great about taking money from certain designated piles and ensuring we didn't go over on other things.  This month we managed to go through only half of our budget for everything that wasn't fixed!  I think this was helped by the fact that Liam has been working until 9pm for the past 2 weeks.  Since he's been working so late this means no grocery store runs and no date nights.  So grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, quesadillas and digging through all of the freezer meals I've made was definitely essential for not starving.  I don't think we'll be able to replicate this amount of underbudget-ness in the future, but it's a good start.

This has actually made us a lot more pumped about staying on budget and going as far under our daily max as possible.  Adding in for little eventualities, such as the dryer breaking down, renewing our visas and a St. Patrick's Day party are going to help us keep it on track.  The big question mark will be the summer.  We're supposed to have a big family visit tour taking us to Ireland and the East Coast over 3 weeks.  That's 4 plane tickets, at least 14 days in a hotel (unless someone gets booted out of my grandmom's soon), and 2 weeks of a car rental.  It's a big expense, huge in fact.  But we want to make the trip because my family with the exception of my mom and grandmom haven't even met Boo yet.  Liam's family saw her at 3 months old.  It's also my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary.

I've been applying for a bunch of jobs and hope that something will pan out by summer.  Until then I'm just going to search and apply for 1 hour per day and spend the rest of the time playing with Z and Boo, learning to sew, teaching myself Arabic and maybe I'll even attempt to fiddle with Liam's guitar.  I'm going to enjoy my break and knowing I'm not driving my family slowly into the poorhouse has made that possible.


2 comments:

  1. Great job on setting out a budget and meeting it your first month! I suck at budgets! I hope you get good job news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to do the trip!

    Tomato soup and grilled cheese / quesadilla is my "we have to eat the pantry" staple. When we don't have cheese, its tomato soup and goldfish crackers.

    ReplyDelete