Sunday, March 24, 2013

First Day at Work

It was a successful first day, but a little weird.  In theory, the office has been around for almost 10 years.  In practice, I think the office has been up and running less than 4.  It has also had a lot of turnover and seems to be finding its legs in the past year or so.  They are trying out new structures for keeping everything working smoothly, which means some people (ie me) are kind of sitting there like "what am I supposed to be doing?"

Someone mentioned that my job description and duties had been sent around to everyone...but not me, so she forwarded that info on to me.  Quite helpful!  I looked at all my responsibilities and wrote up questions for each one.  And then, since it didn't seem like the training or supervision was going to come to me I emailed the person listed on the office flow chart above me and scheduled a meeting with her for tomorrow morning.  I also managed to somehow teach half the office how to file non-client assigned documents in the system properly and how to use the firm specific formatting, which has it's own custom ribbon in Word.  Apparently that isn't something anyone teaches you, but I was bored and watched about 5 hours worth of IT training video tutorials.  I definitely felt like a rockstar!

I was also given the backstory on the office, who has moved up, out and been newly introduced.  It seems that they are happy to keep good people as long as they can and move them up whenever possible.  The person who had my job before me is now the finance manager for this office and another one in the region.  All in all it was a good day.  I was even treated to a lunch at a fancy restaurant next door.  The only bummer was a 30 min drive back home, which would normally be 15-20 min, but I am at the mercy of taxi drivers until my new car arrives on the 10th!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment