Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The New Job

...it's getting there.  The firm is kind of a mess.  It's not like offices I'm used to where there are people to chat with and go out to lunch with and get your work done.  I talk to one person, Samantha, in the office pretty regularly and no one else talks to anyone unless they want something or have work to give out.  I mean some people are downright unfriendly.  I tried to ask one person how long she's been in the office and she pretty much snapped at me and told me she didn't have time for this right now.  Not "oh I'm swamped we can talk later," but "I don't have time for this."  Ooook.  By the end of the first week, I was seriously wondering if I would come back.

If it weren't for Samantha, I probably wouldn't have.  She told me she's gone home crying some nights and gets super stressed.  I'm not down with that.  Apparently I've been good at helping her reassert when it's time to leave the office and not taking things personally.  I'm out the door when the clock strikes 5:00pm.  I stayed during the first week until 5:30 because someone put something on my desk at 4:55.  I stuck it out, did the work, it took an extra hour to get home and the girls were asleep.  I nearly cried.

So I'm still looking, but I'll suck it up and do this job as best I can until something better comes up.  I've literally been told by at least 2 people at the firm that I should get out while I'm still new and don't get sucked in.  That's reassuring.  I was excited about starting new processes and organizing things, but it really seems like no one wants that.  Maybe things will change in the near future, but I doubt it.  In the meantime, it's a nice paycheck, I do my work, head out at 5 on the dot and leave it all behind once I'm in the car on the way home.  But it's really not a place I feel comfortable, happy or look forward to going to everyday.  I guess you can't have it all!  And see look all that time I was bitching about not having a job and now I'm bitching about my job.  I'm just never happy! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it's not working out. I think your philosophy of getting in, doing your job as well as you reasonably can, and walking out the door at 5 p.m. exactly is a good one -- seems like the only way you can avoid being miserable here is by not caring. It's not like you're in this for the long haul, so if somebody drops something on your desk at 4:55, too bad if they have to wait until the next day. And don't feel bad about complaining -- just because you want something doesn't mean you're not allowed to complain about it! (Same goes for babies.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. >> just because you want something doesn't mean you're not allowed to complain about it!

    Wisdom. Truth. Magic Cookie.

    Also, I am bummed it is not working out for you and hopeful that the adage "it's easier to find a job when you have a job" holds true

    ReplyDelete