Saturday, September 21, 2013

Holding Pattern

Things are on hold for the next week or so pending some news. Life has been in limbo as I wait for this news and I'm just hoping that things go one way rather than another, but knowing will be nice all the same. This way I can get ready for new things or tuck in for the long haul.

The girls are their usual chipper selves and running around like crazy. Melody got her drivers license, which is super rare over here. We paid for lessons and everything and she passed after her 3rd try and a bunch more time on the road. This couldn't have come at a better time because I'm still without a license, due to non-reciprocal driver's license issues and the 2.5 hours it was taking for Liam to take the girls to nursery and then get to work.

Traffic has been crazy! Everyone is back from summer break and there is construction being done on literally every major road in the country!!!! This means a commute of 20 minutes this summer can take anywhere between 50minutes to 1.5 hours. The traffic patterns change daily and it's not like there is a local morning news cast to let you know about traffic conditions, so it's a crap shoot. All of this craziness actually kind of makes me happy I can't drive. I can just chill in the backseat and read or listen to music, but I'll need to start driving soon, especially since I have a car that's just kind of sitting there.

We have also started making a more concentrated effort on my loans. I think it was spurred on by a super cute house we saw Stateside while searching online that would have been perfect. We've been looking for something near my mom and grandmother's house that we could stay in for a month or so while we're back in the US visiting and use as a transition house once we move back in a few years. This house was perfect! There wasn't anything that needed to be done. Kitchen, amazing. Bathrooms, great. Floor, hardwood and beautiful. Knowing that we could have possibly done something, like make an offer and jumped on this house with a mortgage that is 1/3 what we pay in rent and would actually be ours has reinvigorated our debt pay down. It's just my loans and a bit on the mortgage on the house in the UK, which is rented out. But it would be nice to pay off my HUGE HUGE, painful loans asap. At current rates ,we will have it paid off in 5 years, I would like to get that down to 3 years. Then project downpayment will begin.

Other than crazy traffic and loans, things are pretty much the same. It's still super hot, which means no outside time, but we should be able to go to the beach soon on weekend mornings. We will also be able to go for talks and picnics. I'm so looking forward to things cooling off and gearing up for the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment