Sunday, January 19, 2014

Tax Time

I finally opened the tax form that the student loan provider made available. 5 digits of student loan interest paid...vomit! It really made it real that this is what was just paid in interest in 2013! At least I won't see a bill that high ever again. That was paying off all the interest that accrued during law school, which is horrifying. It should only be 4 digits this year and decrease until the eventual pay off in 2016. We're also trying to get our financial house in order with a college savings account for Z and Boo, bye bye $1000/mo. I keep telling Liam maybe we should just aim to partially pay for college or push them toward computer science or another sector where a degree isn't as vital. We will see.

I also almost totally screwed up my 2013/2014 taxes by realizing 9 days too late about my old 403(b) to Roth IRA roll over, but it looks like it will all be fine after all. Yay, international tax exemption and PWC doing all the dirty work or I would have no idea what was going on.

There are a lot of grant proposal opportunities that have been coming up around town. They are pretty much for anything you want from publishing to 3D printing to medicine. I don't know if I can think of anything that I would put forward right now, but it's good to know these options are out there. I would like to do research on a topic that interest me, get some funding and publish something. My position is really one that I could parlay it into anything I set decided I wanted to pursue. It could become more tech oriented, legally oriented, business and accounting, database and information systems, etc. I just can't even think of someone that is doing something I would want to do to approach them about how to do it, if that makes any sense. I'll be hitting a milestone birthday in a couple of years and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! 

1 comment:

  1. How are things doing with your student loan provider? A 5 digit student loan is quite high. I hope you won’t have to encounter this situation any time soon. Anyway, taxes can be quite complicated, so I hope you haven’t had that much trouble with it. Thanks for sharing this with us, Izzie!


    Meghan Payne @ Denver Book Keeping Service

    ReplyDelete