Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Rejection Game Begins

Z was just rejected from her first school, so that's 1 down 3 to go. I'm a little pissed at how personally I'm taking it. It also came about 4 days after our application, so that's weird. I'm hoping it's a mistake, but it might not be. I'm freaking out a little bit about how this time is going to play out. We have an interview/assessment at one school at the end of the month, but it's so far away from home and work that it would mean hours in the car everyday with Z for me or Melody with a driver and I'm not happy with that.

In other news our new year is filled with a lot of classes for Z: swimming, ballet, gymnastics and soccer and swimming for Boo. I've also realized how much of a teacher's pet Z was and I'm thinking it is hereditary. She always wants to sit next to the teacher, be the leader and ensure that the teacher has seen what she's doing. I'm not sure how much I need to break her of this, but I'm thinking it will be after interviews/assessments. She has no problems going up to the teachers and saying her name and holding their hands and just generally being adorable, at least from a parent's perspective. I'm not sure how great it is from a teacher's perspective. It works well in small classes like ballet where there are only 5 other kids, 4 of whom participate. There Z is the only one beaming and ready and doing everything teacher says. It's harder in gymnastics where there are about 12 kids and she's one of the younger ones and can't really do everything and gets frustrated while trying. We will see which activities she likes best and then pare down from there.  

5 comments:

  1. Wait, Z is going to college already? You're getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wish! This is the process to get into Pre-K!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Do you live on the Upper East Side of New York?

      Delete