Friday, April 4, 2014

Old Work Meet Up and Other Updates

I was invited for drinks by a partner at my old job. He made it sound casual, not a client meeting with the whole office that was pretty much a work event, which is what it was! It turned out to be a casual client meeting and I got free drink and dinner, so I'm not one to complain, but still... I asked him why the heck he invited me and he just said he wanted to get the gang back together and hang out for a bit. It was lots of fun and I definitely miss the team. The work and the office pain in the butt not so much, but definitely the other people. They also invited me for a going away party for one of the senior associates who's coming to my umbrella company.  I'm not one to turn down free drinks and a meal on the company tab!

It was fun talking with all of them and being crazy. Even though my current boss has invited me over for drinks by the pool at their compound a few times, I think they wouldn't be as bawdy as the Brits. I've managed to reserve out tickets for the summer with our travel agent and it's 2k less than we thought it would be! Score for getting loan repayment back on track, more kids clothes, activities and fun times during our trip!!

The girls activities are on term break for 3 weeks, so that means entertaining them on the weekends has been a bit of a challenge. It was a bit too cold at the pool today, but the girls didn't care. They are getting so big it's crazy. Boo will be 2 at the end of this month!

Z got into another school, which kind of sucks because I already submitted the first invoice for 1st Choice to work to pay. This wouldn't really be our first choice, except for the fact that it's on the way to work everyday. The reason 1st Choice school isn't really 1st choice is because we got into the school we wanted, but not the location. It's a long way from home, but I've asked that we be put on the transfer list, so we will see if it happens before the school year begins. If we had gotten into 1st Choice 1st location, it would be a no brainer. Our options look like putting Melody in a taxi everyday to drop off and pick up Z or buy a small second hand car for me to get to work in and have Melody use my car.

Buying another car, not the best option, but we only have a year left on my car and we will stop paying for daycare for Z this fall so it wouldn't be so bad. I've paid off a little more than half of my biggest student loan, only 12.5 more to go! It should be gone by August and then the slash and burn of the rest will begin. I'm still hoping the Job 2 will come through. I had my third interview last week and think it went well. So now it's just more waiting to see what will happen. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a quandry. I'm sure you've ran through the numbers already, but if the cost of buying a second-hand car isn't that far away from daily taxi rides for Melody for the rest of the school year, perhaps buying one is a solid option. At this point, second-hand cars are optimal in your situation, and you might even find a good deal that will help you save more. Good luck!

    Colin Morton @ SeaPort Auto

    ReplyDelete